Blackbeard’s Plan – Introduction
We first learn that Blackbeard had a plan to become Pirate King after he had acquired the Yami Yami no Mi which he obtained from killing Thatch. One of the steps he required to bringing his ambitions to a reality required the defeat of a pirate with a 100M beri bounty as learnt of in Mock Town. Blackbeard learns that Luffy has a bounty of 100m and ever since then, he begins to pursue Luffy. He makes this clear to Ace.
Fast-forwarding to the fated encounter between Blackbeard and Ace, we know how things played out in the lead to Marineford and Post Marineford, and as a result, we ask:
- What would have happened if Blackbeard didn’t meet with Ace, and offered Luffy’s head to the World Government?
- How would things have played out?
I will be threading the needle that is my thought process to explain how I reached my conclusion. My own Headcanon at the very least.
Step 1: Yami Yami no Mi
He had to acquire a fruit that could neutralise or negate any Devil Fruit power first of all. He stayed on Whitebeard’s ship because he thought that was the best chance to acquire the Yami Yami no Mi.
Step 2: Become a Shichibukai
While he did intend to capture Luffy, Ace presenting himself and engaging him in a duel interposed Ace as Luffy’s substitute.
Step 3: Break into Impel Down and recruit Division Commanders
He then breaks into Impel Down, and recruits 6 of the most powerful individuals that can be found located.
Step 4: Kill Whitebeard & Acquire the Gura Gura no Mi
With his 9 commanders, he successfully kills Whitebeard. Whitebeard is then drenched in a black veil which leads to Shiliew asking if the crew disbands on failure? Failure is most likely relating to the possibility from dying consuming 2 Devil fruits as it’s unprecedented.
Was Marineford Part of the Plan?
Seemingly, it wasn’t.
- If Ace hadn’t fought with Blackbeard, Marineford may never have happened because Whitebeard would have had no reason to go to Impel Down or Marineford.
- He could have carried out this plan with anyone, Luffy wasn’t even important, all that mattered was the 100m bounty head he needed to offer the World Government for the position of the Shichibukai.
If Marineford would never have happened, it means Blackbeard intended to break into Impel Down to recruit his subordinates as a Shichibukai, and then kill Whitebeard in the New World.
There’s only 1 flaw with this plan if Marineford never happened?
- He underestimated Whitebeard’s strength. He thought that because he was old, his power had waned. Had Marineford not happened, Whitebeard would have been at full strength. Even without being in top form, if he weren’t bleeding to death, Blackbeard would have died.
Just thought I’d share this.
- What if Luffy never took down Crocodile meaning he’d still be 1 of the 7 Shichibukai. Would Blackbeard have gone on to defeat a Shichibukai to obtain their post?
- What if Luffy was captured by Blackbeard and taken to Impel Down. Could it still have lead to Marineford?
Thanks for reading.
*Theory by HPsyche