Theory: Sentomaru is from Wano, and will play a key role in the Wano arc, and the downfall of Kaido.
Another less likely theories:
– Sentomaru is Shogun’s Son.
– Vegapunk will make his appearance in Wano.
Sentomaru is from Wano
- He is the first character in the series to have his name written in kanji, rather than katakana (barring aliased people like the three admirals). This characteristic is later shared with those from Wano Country.
- Sentomaru’s fighting style is based in Sumo, which is a famous part from Japan’s culture, and goes in line with Wano-Japan recurring similarities (Samurai, Ninja…etc).
Sentomaru-Momotaro Similarities and his role agains Kaido
I think Sentomaru is based in Momotaro, the main character of the Momotaro chronicles:
- According to the present form of the tale. Momotaro came to Earth inside a giant peach which was found floating down a river, by an old, childless woman who was washing clothes there. The woman and her husband discovered the child when they tried to open the peach to eat it. The child explained that he had been sent by Heaven to be their son. The couple named him Momotarō, from momo (peach) and taro (eldest son in the family).
- Sentomaru’s name contains the kanji for ‘peach‘ (桃). Actually his full name Sentomaru (戦桃丸 – literally means “Battle Peach Boy”) , and his outfit includes a ‘heaven’ tomoe emblem.
- During Momotaro’s adventures he meets different animals, more specifically a Pheasant, a Dog and a Monkey, who become his companions and support him during his fights. The admirals’ epiphets; Aokiji (Blue Pheasant), Akainu (Red Dog), and Kizaru (Yellow Monkey), are also based on Momotaro legends. This reinforce the idea of Sentomaru being based on Momotaro.
- In Momotaro’s chronicles, with the help of his friends, Momotaro manage to defeat an Oni. If previous theories about Kaido-Oni are real, Sentomaru may play an important role in his defeat.
Sentomaru – Shogun’s son? (pure speculation)
- This idea comes from Momotaro’s name, ‘taro’ meaning ‘eldest son of the family’. Indeed, this doesn’t neccessarily imply that Sentomaru is the Shogun’s son, however, if I assume my theory to be real, it would justify the inclussion of Sentomaru in Wano arc, otherwise, he is just some random Wano ex-citizen, which makes it much less interesting.
In case someone comes saying Kizaru is Sentomaru’s s uncle:
- Sentomaru refers to Kizaru as “Uncle” (黄猿のオジキ, Kizaru no Ojiki, a Japanese word commonly used to refer to a yakuza family “father” boss). The Japanese term used does not mean they are family. It truly means that the pair are on a high level of respect.
- Everytime we’ve seen Sentomaru, he has been accompanied by Pacifista, and his rank is ‘Science Captain’ so it is quite safe to assume he is working close with Vegapunk. If my theory is real, and Sentomaru plays an important role in Wano arc, we may see Vegapunk make an appearance, which would be really interesting.
*Theory by Rexynok