- Hawkins’ name is derived from a real life pirate and a navigator. His given name came from Basil Ringrose, while his surname came from John Hawkins.
- In Japan, Hawkins’ birthday, September 9th, is known as ‘Fortune-telling Day’, a reference to his fortune-telling abilities. He shares his birthday with Shyarly, a fellow fortuneteller.
- Hawkins’ favorite food is fortune cookies, and his least favorite food is meat.
- Hawkins’ epithet may be a reference to the first Major Arcanum in most traditional tarot decks, The Magician(“Majutsushi” in Japanese).
- As a child, he had much shorter hair and wore a similar coat to the one he wears now but in pink. He wore light and dark green striped pants. He is also shown with his trademark stoic expression, possibly partaking in a tarot card reading.
- In the manga, it is unknown what type of cards Hawkins uses for his cartomancy as only the back has been seen so far. In the anime, they appear to be tarot cards since the “Death (XIII)” card was seen.
- Oda revealed that Hawkins was originally going to join the Shichibukai.
- If One Piece was set in the real world, then Hawkins would be from Egypt.
- If Hawkins was not a pirate, then he would be an interior designer.
- In the 6th fan poll, Hawkins ranked 75th.