- The design for Kuzan’s face is based on the late actor Yusaku Matsuda. The character that the actor played in the TV series and movie “Detective Story” (Tantei Monogatari) even had a similar hairstyle, clothing and wore the same sleep mask design. Kuzan’s birthday is even based upon Matsuda’s.
- Kuzan is the first admiral (though technically former) to be shown after the time skip.
He was nominated by Sengoku for the position of fleet admiral. However, after losing the position to Sakazuki, he resigned from the Marines and affiliated himself with the Blackbeard Pirates.
- Kuzan is one of the few Devil Fruit users who has adapted their powers to travel efficiently across the sea. In his case, he freezes the water underneath his bicycle, Ao Chari, and then rides across the sea, due to the water freezing as the wheels pass over it. This freezing ability, which can be used on a very large scale, renders Kuzan one of the few Devil Fruit users who can actually counteract the weakness of falling into a large body of water and drowning, as he can just freeze the water and stand on the ice.
- It was stated that all vice admirals possess Haki, so with a rank above vice admiral, Kuzan can also use the ability. During the Battle of Marineford, he was seen using his Busoshoku Haki to negate Whitebeard’s attempt to destroy the execution platform, by creating, with his fellow admirals, a shield combination of their three Haki.
- His alias and other admiral aliases (Aokiji, Akainu, and Kizaru), are taken from Momotaro legends (Momotaro met Pheasant, Dog, and Monkey as friends to accompany him in his journey).
- As a child, Kuzan had a grimace on his face. He wore a dirty light blue shirt and a purple pair of shorts with white stripes. He carried an umbrella tied on his back, a bottle of alcohol and a backpack. Also, his hair was curlier compared to his current hairstyle.
- After the events at Dressrosa, Kuzan was seen reading a newspaper while his penguin, Camel, was cooking barbecue.
- In the 6th Japanese Fan Poll, Aokiji is currently ranked as the 25th most popular character, making him the most popular of the Marines.