This is a collection of all my thoughts for Monkey D. Dragon. They all have been there for some years now, but I will try to add what we discovered in Chapter 1066.
Dragon was as an Ex-Marine
- We know, from Dragon’s Vivre Card, that The Revolutionary Army was formed between Roger’s death and Luffy’s birth. That is between 24 and 19 years ago. Knowing he is now 55 years old, that means he was not a Revolutionary until he was 31-36.
- His Vivre Card also hints at a possible secret about his past, and that at a certain point of his life he realized how rotten the world truly was and became confided that it was his duty to change the world for the better.
- This leaves us with a gap between his coming of age and his 31-36 years old. Of course he could have been just a postman, but a marine makes far more sense for a story like his. We have seen similar stories of marines leaving the army in the past, as with Kuzan or Zephyr.
- If Garp was his father, which I think it is not, it would not make sense that he would have wanted something different for his own/adopted son and for his grandchildren. And we know that he wanted his grandchildren to become Marines.
- Conclusion: I think Dragon joined the Marines and was part of them until a certain incident happened between 24 and 19 years ago. Then he left and formed the Revolutionary Army.
Dragon’s relation with the Admirals
- If we analyze Marineford, we can see how Akainu never calls Luffy by his name, but always refers to him as Dragon’s son. This is especially remarkable because he does so even before Segonku makes the official announcement.
- When Sengoku shares it, Warlords, Vice Admirals and pirates all look surprised. Furthermore, Garp mentions it is not worth hiding it anymore. We can assume the Admirals knew because of their rank, but it is still an important detail that Akainu already knew.
- Sakazuki and Dragon both are the very same age, 55 years old. We know both Akainu and Kizaru joined the Marines 32 years ago, so that gives them a period of 9-13 years to interact with Dragon. If all of them reached the rank of Vice Admiral, it is very feasible they worked together on more than one occasion.
- I do not want to go deep into Chinese mythology, because it is not my area of expertise and it is very easy to get lost into fake tales, but I firmly think the Admirals are based on the four seas and the different dragons in Feng Shui (as well as the Momotarō tale).
- The cardinal directions of these four seas are determined by the marker-stars of the mega-constellations known as the Four Celestial Animals. Here are some details about them and their dragon equivalents:
- Azure Dragon (East): Blue and green, associated with birds, wood and growth. I think it represented Aokiji (Blue Pheasant) and later Ryokugyu (Green Bull).
- Vermilion Bird (South): Associated with fire, summer and the color red, as well as good luck and fortune. It would be Akainu (Red Dog).
- White Tiger (West): Purity, virtue, mourning and death. I think it is Fujitora (Wisteria Tiger), and that he went blind to after a close one’s death.
- Black Tortoise (North): Associated with revenge, and often linked to catastrophes based on water such as floods and storms. For me that screams Dragon.
- Yellow Dragon (Center): Represents royalty and the emperor, as well as authority, fortune and wisdom. That would be Kizaru (Yellow Monkey).
- Conclusion: Dragon was not only a Marine, but a top tier one. He was a Vice Admiral together with Akainu, Aokiji and Kizaru and was meant to become an Admiral as well.
The Ohara Incident
- We know that something happened between 24 and 19 years ago that moved Dragon into forming the Revolutionary Army. As stated by his Vivre Card, he realized how rotten the world truly was.
- We know the Ohara Incident happened 22 years ago and that five Vice Admirals were involved, of them, we only saw the faces of two: Kuzan and Sakazuki. The other three remain unknown.
- Knowing how it marked everyone present, I think it is an incident big enough to make Dragon resign from the Marines and start the Revolutionary Army. The world was rotten and he had to change it.
- Conclusion: Dragon was one of the Vice Admirals that participated on the Buster Call to Ohara. After this event he resigned from the Marines and started the Revolutionary Army.
After Chapter 1066
- As I said, this theory has been written for a long time, but Chapter 1066 has been out this week and some stuff has changed. Some people may think I was wrong, but I belive this just adds more clues.
- We see that Vegapunk is already the head of the Punk Hazard laboratory. He is affiliated to the government and he knows Dragon, why?
- I think they met because Dragon was a Marine, but a particular one, the leader of the Freedom Fighters, a dissident group that wanted to change the Navy from within.
- After the Incident of Ohara happened, which I still think Dragon was part of, he accepted that pacific change was not an option anymore. He wanted to help the civilians evacuate but Absolute Justice was above him.
- As a response to this event, he left his position as a Marine and the Revolutionary Army was created.
- It is not clear if Freedom Fighters was dissolved or not, but I think it remained and evolved into what is nowadays known as SWORD.